Most of us dread being stuck with our mobility scooter in an awkward situation and possibly a long way from home or other support. Well there is some good news for owners of mobility scooters, wheelchairs and powerchairs!
Most of the respective state automobile associations have some form of assistance that you can access for a modest fee or even at no cost as part of their Community Services Program. This gives you peace of mind knowing that there is some assistance in the event of a malfunction or breakdown.
If you are a resident of Victoria
The Royal Automobile Club of Victoria (RACV) offers Emergency Wheelchair and Scooter Assist.This cover is free if you currently hold RACV Total Care Assist. Otherwise cover is available for a modest sum of about $52. This figure is reduced based on your years of membership with RACV.
What benefits do I receive with Emergency Wheelchair and Scooter Assist?
- 24 x 7 emergency assistance.
- If RACV is unable to fix the problem on the spot, taxi transport to the value of $60 is available for you and your scooter
- In addition, the wide range of benefits available to all members of RACV.
For more details visit https://www.racv.com.au/on-the-road/roadside-assistance/wheelchair-scooter-assist.html
PHONE: 13 72 28
If you are a resident of Queensland
National Roads and Motor Association (NRMA) offers a free community service to users of mobility scooters and wheelchairs. If you are unlucky enough to have a flat tyre, NRMA staff will pump up your tyre so that you can continue on your journey.
If you are a resident of New South Wales
The Royal Automobile Club of Queensland (RACQ) provides as part of its Community Service Program a free service to members and non members. This includes a basic level of assistance to users of mobility scooters and wheelchairs – manual and electric
- If you have a flat tyre – RACQ will reinflate the tyre and if you have a spare tube they will replace the tube
- If the tyre cannot be reinflated – RACQ staff will take the tyre to a place for repair, but you will have to arrange collection of your tyre
- If you have a battery problem – RACQ will check all the connections and test the battery, BUT do not supply replacement batteries
PHONE: 13 19 05